New Research shows sitting upright helps pupils 'access positive thoughts'
They found that:
- Slouching over a desk can stop pupils being focused, U.S study shows.
- Bad posture can also trigger negative thoughts and lack of confidence.
- Sitting upright on the other hand can help students perform better.
- Researchers say findings could help athletes, musicians and public speakers.
The study involved 125 secondary school pupils taking a maths test while either slouched or sitting upright. More than half - 56% - reported finding the test easier when upright. This research echoes what chiropractors have been aiming to achieve with their clients, in terms of helping people with their symptoms, but also looking at posture as a possible link to the cause of symptoms.
Here are 5 things you maybe didn't know about posture:
1. Scoliosis (curvature of the spine) cannot be caused by poor posture.
2. Bad posture can raise blood pressure, due to a direct neural link between neck muscles and the part of the brain stem responsible for regulating your blood pressure.
3. The best position to sit at a desk is leaning back by about 135 degrees in order to minimise low back pain.
4. Being overweight can affect your posture by forcing the spine out of alignment.
5. Poor posture can be helped with through chiropractic care. To find out how we can help you call us on 09123 236162 or email us at email@example.com.