Summer is a subjectively fleeting season and school days are upon us once again. For adults, the onset of late summer and early fall signals yet another turn of the wheel of life, reminding us just how quickly time flies and of all we have accomplished and have yet to achieve (just like when we bring in a New Year).
However this year there has been a major twist as we all know, with many children having missed around 6 months of school, and parents having to juggle home schooling and work.
For both children and adults, mental wellness is a key component of our successful adaptation to the changing seasons (and the forever changing COVID rules). With the transition to a new school or a new school year, hopes and expectations are high, and yet the change of scene may be daunting, for both the children and the parents. New teachers, new classmates, new relationships, and new academic challenges directly confront a child's settled view of the world and the wishes and desires of parents for their child's ongoing development.
As your child will be spending significant portions of her or his day in the school environment, it is critically important to ensure that healthy lifestyle choices are made.
Some top tips include:
- Consuming nutritious foods at school, including fresh fruits and vegetables, at snack times and at lunch.
- Wearing a backpack which only has essential items so it is not too heavy and worn across both shoulders.
- Daily exercise is a necessary component of all school programs, and should be encouraged outside of school too. Something as simple as getting off the bus 2 stops earlier and therefore increasing daily number of steps can make a big difference.
- Staying hydrated by drinking enough water throughout the day and limiting the consumption of fizzy drinks at school.
- Talking to your child more often with a check in on how they are doing and feeling. Being honest with your feelings will help build open communication.
Mental well-being for the entire family is supported by regular chiropractic care. By correcting spinal misalignments and eliminating sources of nerve interference, regular chiropractic care helps our bodies to function at optimal capacity. Regular chiropractic care helps remove the causes of many musculoskeletal aches and pains, headaches, fatigue, irritability, and nervousness. In this way, regular chiropractic care reduces and removes sources of mental stress, and helps our mental and physiological processes to work in unison. The result is improved ability to focus and concentrate, improved creativity, and improved overall mental wellness. Regular chiropractic care helps ensure the health and well-being of all of us, parents and children alike. If you feel you or your child needs a check, call us on 01923 2361612.
1 Hager ER, et al: Implementation of Local Wellness Policies in Schools: Role of School Systems, School Health Councils, and Health Disparities. J Sch Health 86(10):742-750, 2016
2 Profili E, et al: School wellness team best practices to promote wellness policy implementation. Prev Med 101:34-37, 2017
3 Wolfenden L, et al: Strategies for enhancing the implementation of school-based policies or practices targeting risk factors for chronic disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2017 Nov 29;11:CD011677. doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD011677.pub2. Review. PMID: 29185627